Thursday, May 05, 2005

GATES VS. GOOGLE

Really interesting piece on the dynamics between Gates/Microsft and Google. Reading this led me to try out Microsoft's Deskbar (since I had Google Desktop Search I never even thought to try the Microsoft product) and it's pretty cool. Of course you have to use it in IE and that's a turn-off, but it's got a cool feature that creates a thumbnail of the page you are looking at with little markers everywhere you search terms appear, and you can scroll the page up and down by dragging the rectangle representing viewable screen area in the viewer up and down. It also integrates with Outlook, Office and Explorer so you can search from anywhere. I'm still testing to see whether their search results are any good though.

2 comments:

JNB said...

This was a great piece. I almost feel for Bill Gates as he struggles to catch up with those upstart Googlians. Tell me what you think of the desktop search. And is yours a trial? What is it's final cost?

JNB said...

So- how do they compare? I use Google Desktop and it is pretty good. I didn't like that it opens IE to run,so to make it more user friendly for me, I bookmarked the page in Opera and put it on my personal bar. So now IE doesn't open. I assume Microsoft's uses IE also.