Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Blair Wins, the Media Spins

Evan Coyne Maloney puts the British election results in a little better context:
Britain's Labour Party won re-election in Parliament, which ensures that Tony Blair will continue on as Prime Minister. Already, the media is spinning the election as a terrible rebuke for Blair over the Iraq war. Setting aside the fact that this terrible rebuke resulted in Labour winning its third consecutive election for the first time in history, the numbers simply don't bear out the media's contention.

As of this writing, the election results show that the Conservatives have gained 33 seats in Parliament, while the Labor Party lost a total of 47 seats. In other words, over 70% of the seats lost by Labour were picked up by the other major party that supported the overthrow of Saddam Hussein. This hardly seems like a stunning victory for the anti-war side.

1 comment:

JNB said...

When I read the stats right after the election and realized who had picked up his lost seats I knew the media was spinning this. And by waiting patiently, the truth is coming out. I am so tired of the twisted lies. Give me the facts and let me write my own commentary!